Typhoon Muifa intensified into a strong typhoon and is expected to move through the East China Sea, making landfall in coastal areas of China’s Zhejiang province on Wednesday, the country’s national weather forecaster warned.
Here are 8 updates on Typhoon Muifa:
1. Typhoon Muifa made landfall near the southern islands of Japan on September 11.
2, Japan’s remote Ishigaki Island, part of the Yayami chain at the southwest end of the Okinawa Group, was affected by Typhoon Muifa.
3. Japan’s Meteorological Agency said Typhoon Muifa is expected to maintain its strength and hit Ishigaki Island near Taiwan.
4. Then Typhoon Muifa will move northwards towards Shanghai and its surrounding areas, the agency said.
5. China’s Meteorological Agency issued an “orange” warning – its second most severe warning – and said the center of Muifa was about 490 km (304.5 mi) southeast of Jiangshan city in Zhejiang province.
6. This will be China’s twelfth storm this year.
7. Chinese media reported the possibility of large waves in the southern part of the East China Sea, Reuters said.
8. China’s Meteorological Agency also predicted dangerous sea conditions in the Zhejiang and Fujian coastal waters.
While 27.6 million people are in forced labor, 22 million are trapped in forced marriage. More than half of the global total – 15.1 million workers – are from Asia and the Pacific. It is followed by Europe and Central Asia (4.1 million), Africa (3.8 million), the Americas (3.6 million) and the Arab states (0.9 million).
The New York Times is facing massive opposition from its employees. Visual Investigation reporter Haley Willis wrote in a tweet, “@nytimes is giving out branded lunch boxes to employees this week as office-to-office returns. We want respect and a fair contract.” “So I’m working from home this week, with the support of my @NYTimesGuild and @NYTGuildTech colleagues from @WirecutterUnion,” she continued.
The head of a team of UN investigators on Myanmar said on Monday that Facebook has handed over millions of items that could support allegations of war crimes and genocide. The objective of the Independent Investigation Mechanism (IIMM) for Myanmar is to create case files for proceedings in national, regional or international courts. It was established by the United Nations Human Rights Council in 2018 and started functioning the following year.
King Charles and his siblings hold a silent vigil on the side of their mother Queen Elizabeth’s coffin as it rests in Edinburgh’s historic cathedral to honor Britain’s longest-serving monarch Thousands queued up. They came out of the city’s St. Giles Cathedral to applause from the audience.
Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, has paused new episodes of her Spotify podcast during the period of Queen Elizabeth II’s official mourning, according to an alert on the platform on Monday. Her husband Prince Harry and Meghan stepped down from royal duties in 2020, and have since split from the family and criticized Buckingham Palace for how they were treated.