with at least eight people killed Mass protests in Iran US President Joe Biden, furious over the death of a woman in police custody, pledged solidarity with Iranian women during his speech at the United Nations on Wednesday.
Here are the top 5 updates on the protests in Iran and what Joe Biden said:
- Addressing the United Nations after Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi, Joe Biden lauded the protesters, saying, “Today we stand with the brave citizens and brave women of Iran who are demonstrating right now to secure their basic rights. Huh.”
- Protests erupt in Iran Following the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who was arrested by the country’s ethics police for allegedly wearing the hijab in an “inappropriate” manner.
3. Iranian authorities have denied the claim that Amini died of a fatal blow to her head.
4. The protests have seen a significant presence of women, with protesters taking off their hijabs and burning them in bonfires or symbolically cutting their hair.
5. Internet services across the country have been severely disrupted, AFP reported. Iranian state media reported that street rallies spread to 15 cities, police used tear gas and made arrests to disperse a crowd of 1,000 people.