HomeWorldFormer Chinese deputy police minister sentenced to life in prison for taking...

Former Chinese deputy police minister sentenced to life in prison for taking bribe of $91 million

Beijing: A former Chinese deputy public security minister has previously condemned the ruling Communist Party for harming unity, taking large bribes and “revoking” his position during China’s initial fight against COVID-19, a provincial court said Friday. announced to.

Sun Lijun, 53, was sentenced to a suspended death sentence, which will be commuted to life imprisonment two years later without the possibility of parole, official Xinhua news agency said in a report on Friday.

Sun oversaw pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong in 2017 and was part of a team of officials initially sent to the central Chinese city of Wuhan to oversee the containment of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020.

It is the second high-profile conviction in two days and is part of a flurry of indictments this month as President Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign netted former top officials weeks ahead of the Communist Party Congress, where he was given an unprecedented third term. expected to achieve. ,

The court said Sun had abused his power in several influential positions between 2001 and 2020, and pleaded guilty in July to accepting bribes of more than 646 million yuan ($91 million).

China’s public security ministry in January condemned the “poisonous” influence of him and his “political faction”.

A state media report published last year said that he had quit during the outbreak of Covid-19 in Wuhan.

“The investigation found that in the frontline of fighting the Covid-19 pandemic, Surya stepped down. He also had confidential material without permission and had been indulging in superstitious activities for a long time.

Investigators also noted that Sun “…never remained true to the party’s ideals and beliefs, displayed extremely heightened political ambition and very poor political integrity, baseless criticism of party policies, and political rumours.” spread”.

Tangshan incident punishment

The primary suspect in the brutal beating of four women at a barbecue restaurant in Tangshan in northern China’s Hebei province in June was sentenced on Friday by a local court to 24 years in prison and fined 320,000 yuan (45,215).

Footage of men attacking women after the prime suspect’s advances were denied was widely shared online, sparking outrage across the country.

A total of 28 people were arrested in connection with the incident till the end of last month.

The remaining 27 defendants were sentenced to prison terms ranging from six months to 11 years.

“Chen Jizhi, the main perpetrator, and the other five defendants will reimburse the four victims for medical treatment, nursing, food subsidies, transportation and other damages incurred,” Global Times quoted the court order as saying.


Author
Authorhttps://searchnews.in
Hello Friends, My Name is Raushan Kumar. I am a Part-Time Blogger and Student. I am author of https://searchnews.in . We're dedicated to providing you the best of News, with a focus on Business, Health, Lifestyle, World, Tech, India, Gadget.
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

- Advertisment -