This sweet dessert roll has its origins in Italian and Portuguese cuisine and is made primarily from easy ingredients that can be found in your pantry. The name ‘salami’ comes from its physical appearance. Like meat salami, it is rolled into a tight cylinder and served sliced into discs. Chocolate salami is a rich chocolate brown in color with flakes of biscuits or nuts that resemble white flecks in meat salami.
Chocolate Salami Recipe: How to Make Chocolate Salami
400 grams biscuits (Marie, Digestive or Tea biscuits)
1 cup powdered sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
200 grams melted butter
100 g melted chocolate (optional)
2 egg whites
splash of cold milk
- Crush the biscuits in a blender or by hand to make coarse crumbs. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and cocoa powder and mix.
- Add melted butter and chocolate (if using).
- Beat the egg whites and add to the mixture. Knead the dough using your hands.
- If the mixture seems too dry, add a splash of cold milk.
- Cut 2 pieces of parchment paper, each about 18″ long. Divide chocolate mixture between these 2 sheets and roughly shape into a log.
- Roll up the paper and tighten the mixture into a cylinder. Tie the ends of the paper together like a big toffee.
- Keep them in the freezer for 2-3 hours to set.
- Slice and serve.
Try it at home and let us know how you liked it in the comment section below.