On June 26, some girl students of Minority Residential Girls’ School in Siddipet fell ill after complaining of abdominal pain and vomiting.
The school management thought of controlling the situation but the matter got out of hand when 18 students had to be hospitalized while around 60 were treated at the school.
Health Minister Harish Rao immediately intervened and directed the officials to extend all possible help.
According to sources, the cooks mixed the ‘stale’ chicken soup prepared a day earlier with freshly made brinjal curry, causing food poisoning. The government has terminated the services of four cooks and a warden and the principal has been suspended.
“Facility in all residential schools and hostels is being closely monitored after this incident. No major incident has been reported from any hostel or school. However, some minor incidents may come to the fore, as we are dealing with 300 to 400 students in each school or hostel,” said Gopal Rao, rural development officer.
“Even we came to know about the incident later. By the time we got there, all the utensils were clean and hence, we could not send any sample to the laboratory. However, we had sent water samples for testing, which were found safe to drink,” said a health official on condition of anonymity.
“We are taking all precautionary measures. Officials are frequently visiting schools and hostels to monitor the situation and even taste the food. We are ensuring quality food for the students,” said District Medical and Health Officer Kashinath.